The Abdulsalami Abubakar Institute for Peace and Sustainable Development Studies (AAIPSDS) was established in 2002. However, its academic programmes became operational in 2003/2004 academic session. The Institute was borne out of collaboration between a state tertiary institution, Niger State College of Education, Minna, a continental think-thank and advocacy group, Pan-Africa Strategic and Policy Research Group (PANASTRAG). The Institute is named after a Nigeria’s former Head of State, Gen A.A Abubakar, GCFR, CSG, who is actively involved in peace building processes in Nigeria and across Africa. The Institute is making a giant strides in providing a platform for re-vitalizing the teaching, learning and studies of peace education and practice in Africa. AAIPSDS through its strategic programmes has engaged in diverse activities to impact on key issues and challenges confronting Nigeria in particular. Some of these activities include the United Nations International Peace Day lecture Series, strategic workshops and roundtable.
The Institute through its annual International Peace Day lecture series has addressed critical issues in Nigeria and African at large. A total of four lecture series held in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009 has been published in a volume titled “Winning Peace in a Turbulent World”. In 2018, the Institute hosted its 5th Annual International Peace Day lecture series titled ” Building Bridges: One Child; One Youth; One Adult for Peace. The 6th Annual International Peace and Day lecture was held in collaboration with Abdulsalami Abubakar Post-Graduate Hall, University of Ibadan in Minna on the 21st September, 2019. The title of the lecture was "Good politics at the service of peace: the role of eminent persons in the prevention and management of conflict in Nigeria
Over the years, AAIPSDS has also been involved in organizing workshops with relevant stakeholders and partners on a number of critical issues that impact on peace building and sustainable development in Nigeria. Prominent among these include:
- Capacity Building on Post-Conflict, Disaster Management of Refugees, Internally Displaced Persons and Returnees in Nigeria (Bauchi, 25th-30th June,2006)
- Developing Women Agenda for Peace Building in Nigeria (Abuja,9th -16th April,2010)
- Minna Peace Forum and Roundtable of Northern Leaders. (Maizube Farms Minna, 2010)
- Developing a Mechanism for Influencing Government Policy/Decision-Making andAction for Mitigating Political Crises and Deadly Conflicts. (Maizube Farms,Minna 17th December,2014)
- Men and Boys can Stop Terrorism, Violence and Insurgency in Nigeria. (Maizube Farms, Minna 18th-21st December,2014)
- Roundtable on Appropriate Policy, Strategy and Doctrine against Extreme Violence, Terrorism and Insurgency in Nigeria. (Maizube Farms, Minna 7th-8th October,2015)
- Meeting of a Forum of Farmer-Herder Relations in Nigeria in collaboration with Search for Common Ground (Maizube Farms, Minna October,2017)
- A Roundtable on Security and other National Issues for Political Stability in Nigeria (Maizube Farms, Minna 29th – 30th July, 2019).
- Academic Programmes:- The Institute has produced graduates in Professional Diploma in Peace and Development Studies.