HISTORY AND ACHIEVEMENTS
The Abdulsalami Abubakar Institute for Peace and Sustainable Development Studies (AAIPSDS) was established in 2002. However, its academic programmes became operational in 2003/2004 academic session. The Institute was borne out of collaboration between a state tertiary institution, Niger State College of Education, Minna, a Continental Think-Thank and Advocacy Group, Pan-Africa Strategic and Policy Research Group (PANASTRAG).
The Institute is named after a Nigeria’s former Head of State, Gen A.A Abubakar, GCFR, CSG, who is actively involved in peace building processes across Africa. The Institute is his contribution towards providing a platform for re-vitalizing the teaching, learning and studies of peace, conflict, peace-building education and practice in Africa.
AAIPSDS through its strategic programmes has over the years engaged in diverse activities to impact on key issues and challenges confronting Nigeria in particular. Some of these activities include the United Nations International Peace Day lecture Series and strategic workshops and roundtable.
United Nation’s International Peace Day Lecture Series.
The Abdulsalami Abubakar Institute for Peace and Sustainable Development Studies (AAIPSDS) has provided a platform through its annual International Peace Day lecture series has brought to fore critical issues that could positively or negatively impact on building sustainable peace in Nigeria and Africa at large. A total of four lecture series held in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2009 has been published in a volume titled “Winning Peace in a Turbulent World”. In 2018, the Institute hosted its 5th annual international peace day lecture series titled ” Building Bridges; One Child; One Youth; One Adult for Peace.
Strategic Workshops and Meetings
Over the years, AAIPSDS has also been involved in organizing workshops with relevant stakeholders and partners on a number of critical issues that impact on peace building and sustainable development in Nigeria. Prominent among these include:
- Capacity Building on Post-Conflict, Disaster Management of Refugees, Internally Displaced Persons and Returnees in Nigeria (Bauchi,25th-30th June,2006)
- Developing Women Agenda for Peace Building in Nigeria (Abuja,9th -16thApril,2010)
- Minna Peace Forum and Roundtable of Northern Leaders. (Maizube Farms Minna, 2010)
- Developing a Mechanism for Influencing GovernmentPolicy/Decision-Making andAction for Mitigating Political Crises and Deadly Conflicts. (MaizubeFarms,Minna 17th December,2014)
- Men and Boys can Stop Terrorism, Violence and Insurgency in Nigeria. (Maizube Farms, Minna 18th-21st December,2014)
- Roundtable on Appropriate Policy, Strategy and Doctrine against Extreme Violence, Terrorism and Insurgency in Nigeria. (MaizubeFarms,Minna 7th-8th October,2015)
- Meeting of a Forum of Farmer-Herder Relations in Nigeria in collaboration with Search for Common Ground (Maizube Farms, Minna October,2017)