Over 32 armed conflicts, exacerbated by terrorism, insurgency, armed banditry, and kidnappings, were reported in Africa in 2021. Furthermore, ethnic, religious, socioeconomic, and generational divides, as well as hate speech, have reduced civic space and eroded social cohesion. Thus, a number of countries are faced with multiple political and security threats.
AAIPSDS works to prevent conflict and build peace by:
- Promoting dialogue among strategic stakeholders by informed analysis of the causes, factors of risk & resilience and the drivers of conflict and peace;
- Raising awareness through various mediums to discuss issues of local, national, regional and global importance
- Creating spaces for the active participation of youths in peacebuilding processes
- Enhancing the role of traditional rulers and religious clerics in promoting social cohesion and religious harmony
- Strengthening the capacities of women to be actively involved in peacebuilding through AAIPSDS Women, Peace and Security Programme