It is important to note that the manner in which a country or community is governed is crucial for fostering long-term development, peace, and stability.As a result, it is critical to create and sustain an environment conducive to inclusive and responsive political processes. Furthermore, institutional and human governance capacities influence how effective public policies and strategies are implemented, particularly in service delivery.
Africa continues to be the least competitive region economically, making governance and democratic transitions difficult. Other difficulties include the poor state of press freedom, the proliferation of restrictive laws, entrenched leaders who abuse term limits, and weak regional human rights mechanisms.
AAIPSDS in its work will align itself with the following:
- Build partnerships that would enhance the participation of women and youth in the democratic process
- Support public institutions to deliver on their mandate through evidence-based policy advocacy that would impact the polity positively
- Promote civic engagement and participation in governance
- Build the capacities of diverse groups and stakeholders to enhance good governance and conflict management
- Engage the media on conflict-sensitive reportage to enhance sustainable peace
- Develop communication strategies to dispel hate speeches and fake news.